Please try to resolve complaints with your counselor or the Consumer & Family Advocate. You can call 719-589-3671 and ask to speak to the advocate or the Privacy Officer Amy Strasser-Garcia. We cannot terminate services or retaliate against you for filing a complaint. The client may contact the numbers below at any time during the complaint process. If we cannot resolve the client’s complaint, or you wish to talk to someone else, please call one of the following:

Complaints about mental health care may be filed with:

Colorado Office of Behavioral Health Services
(for non-Medicaid complaints)
3824 West Princeton Circle
Denver, CO 80236
303-866-7191 or 888-811-7648
TTY 303-866-7471

Ombudsman for Medicaid Managed Care (for Medicaid complaints)
877-435-7123 outside of Denver
888-876-8864 (TTY) for hearing impaired

Dept of Regulatory Agencies
Mental Health Section
1560 Broadway, Suite 1370
Denver, CO 80202

Office for Civil Rights, US Dept. of HHS

USDHHSS, 200 Independence Ave, Washington, DC 20201

Colorado Health Networks
7150 Campus Drive, Suite 300
Colorado Springs, CO 80920

Complaints about alcohol and drug abuse treatment may be filed with:

Signal Behavioral Health Network

6130 Greenwood Plaza Blvd, Ste 150,

Greenwood Village, CO 80111